80 Ice Breaker Questions For Adults
80 Ice Breaker Questions For Adults
Why is it so hard to start a conversation with someone you don’t know? Obviously, it’s going to be a little weird when you’re young, but we always expect that kind of thing to get easier as we get older, but it never does. Sadly, most of us end up having to resort to ice breakers rather than developing viable social skills. Honestly, there’s nothing wrong with that, just as long as you’re asking people the right ice breaker questions. If you need a little help, here are 80 awesome ice breaker questions adults can use in almost any social situation.
Let’s Talk Pop Culture (17)
1. If you could live inside any sitcom, which one would you choose.
This is a dream come true, so what it’s going to be? Become one of the Friends? Join the Seinfeld gang? Or maybe go for something a little more contemporary.
2. If you got to host your own talk show, who would you want as your first three guests?
Come on, who hasn’t fantasized about having their own talk show? Of course, three guests aren’t that many, so choose wisely.
3. If a movie based on your life was being made, who would you want to play you?
Try to be realistic with this one. You might think that George Clooney or Ryan Gosling will be right for the part, but maybe you need to lower your aspirations a little.
4. What movie do you sometimes pretend to like to impress people?
Have you ever found yourself saying, “There is no greater movie than Citizen Kane?” You don’t really mean that, do you?
5. What song do you think best describes your life?
There are endless options for this question, so there should something that hits right on the nose. Just don’t lie and say “In the Club” or “Big Pimpin’.” People will know those aren’t realistic.
6. If you were Snow White’s 8th dwarf, what would your name be?
Keep in mind that the names of the dwarves aren’t that flattering. Doc is fine, but dopey and bashful aren’t exactly compliments. Just try to be honest about a name that’s honest and endearing.
7. What book would you say has had the greatest influence on your life?
Assuming you didn’t stop reading books after middle school, this is a good ice breaker that should lead to an interesting conversation.
8. What’s your favorite song to sing when you do karaoke?
For the record, nobody’s asking you to sing that song. We just want to have a good laugh at what song you have the guts to sing in front of people.
9. What canceled TV show would you like to bring back?
Unfortunately, you can only choose one show, which isn’t going to be easy. Why do they always have to cancel the good shows?
10. What cartoon character would you most like to have as a friend?
Sure, it’s easy envisioning being best pals with a sitcom character, but it’s a little more difficult to pick out a cartoon character to befriend. I mean, can you imagine actually hanging out with Bugs Bunny or Yosemite Sam?
11. What reality show would you most like to be on?
Choose wisely with this question because it’s hard to justify wanting to be on some of the more trashy reality shows.
12. What movie character would you most like to be?
You might admire Han Solo, but what would really want to be him? Okay, you probably would, but there is a difference between liking a character and wanting to be him. Just keep that in mind.
13. What band or singer do you listen to most often?
What’s been blowing up your playlist recently? Of course, if the answer is Justin Bieber, feel free to lie.
14. What band or singer did you see at your first concert?
For some people, the answer to this question is going to be embarrassing. But that’s what makes it a great ice breaker; you can reminisce about how bad your taste in music was when you were young.
15. Do you have an idea for a reality TV show that doesn’t already exist?
There are so many terrible reality shows nowadays that it’s almost impossible to think up one that doesn’t already exist. However, trying to sell someone on your idea should lead to an interesting discussion.
16. What’s the fastest you’ve ever binge-watched a show on Netflix?
There’s no reason to feel ashamed if you sacrificed a weekend just so you could watch the latest season of Stranger Things. Besides, you should always feel obligated to share binge-worthy suggestions with other people.
17. Who’s the most embarrassing celebrity you follow on social media?
Now’s not the time to be ashamed, it’s the time to own up to something embarrassing. Just admit that you follow someone with the last name Kardashian on Instagram. You shouldn’t be proud of yourself, but it’s not the end of the world.
Fantasy Land (19)
1. If you could instantly become an expert in something, what would it be?
This is an interesting ice breaker question because you’ll probably want to nerd out as much as possible and pick something that would be impossible to learn the old-fashioned way like quantum physics.
2. What one thing would you like to eliminate from your daily routine?
With any luck, this ice breaker will lead to a good debate. Just don’t be obvious and gross by saying you’d like to eliminate your morning trip to the bathroom.
3. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be?
Keep in mind that this isn’t your favorite vacation spot. This should be someplace that’s either super difficult to get to or crazy expensive to visit.
4. If there was an extra hour in the day, how would you spend it?
We’d understand why you would want to say sleep, but try to be a little more creative than that. We get it; we’re all tired.
5. If you could rid the world of one thing, what would it be?
This question is a nice ice breaker because it can reveal a lot about a person. Are you selfish and going to eliminate traffic or selfless and get rid of hunger or poverty worldwide?
6. If you were forced to join the circus, what would you do?
Despite what you may have learned growing up, you can’t just run away and join the circus. You need to actually have a skill that people will want to see. Here’s a helpful hint, lion tamer is more dangerous than it looks.
7. If you had to be handcuffed to one person for a month, who would it be?
Don’t be lame and say your significant other. Sure, that’s the safe answer, but your life would essentially mirror another person’s if you were handcuffed to them. Think about that for a minute.
8. If you found a massive amount of money, would you keep it or attempt to find the owner?
I’m not going to tell you what your answer should be, but this question is going to be kind of boring if you don’t tell the truth.
9. If you knew ahead of time that you wouldn’t fail, what’s one thing you would do?
There’s a lot of possible answers to this, which is what makes it a great ice breaker. You could choose something personal or go the route of picking something stupid and dangerous like walking a tight rope over the Grand Canyon, knowing it wouldn’t kill you.
10. If you had to live one day of your life Groundhog’s Day style, what day would you choose?
This is just a different way of asking you what was the best day of your life.
11. What’s one meal you could eat every day for the rest of your life?
Show me a good ice breaker and I’ll show you an ice breaker that mentions food.
12. If aliens landed on earth and offered to take you back to their home planet, would you go with them?
Just how desperate are you to leave this planet? Well, maybe you’re not desperate to leave the planet, but it’d be an interesting proposition to consider, right?
13. If you were competing in a Miss or Mister Universe pageant, what would be your talent?
This competition has nothing to do with looks; it’s all about having a great talent. Okay, that’s not true, but it’s always fun to talk about one of your hidden talents, right?
14. If you won the lottery and didn’t have to work, how would you spend your time?
The answer to this question should tell you everything you need to know about a person.
15. What Disney character would you like to trade places with?
This question requires a little more thinking than you realize. You might like a character but that doesn’t mean you’d want their life.
16. If you had to be a dog, what breed would you like to be?
If you’re a dog lover, you’ve probably thought about this question before whether you want to admit it or not. If you’re not a dog lover, just play it safe and say Golden Retriever.
17. If you could have an endless supply of one thing the rest of your life, what would it be?
This doesn’t have to be the thing you love the most, but something that you love that’s super expensive. I mean, you could probably afford to pay for a lifetime supply of hot dogs if you really wanted to.
18. If you could commit one crime knowing you’d get away with it, what would it be?
This is another great ice breaker that reveals a lot about a person. Are you after money or would you like to get away with murder? Perhaps you really like fire and want to get away with arson. There’s a lot of options, and most of them are a little grim.
19. If you could meet any historical figure, living or dead, who would it be?
This is a classic ice breaker and for good reason. Just don’t judge someone too much if they say they want to meet one of history’s villains or bad guys.
Trip Down Memory Lane (16)
1. Aside from the obvious, what was one item in your high school locker?
Don’t be the wise guy who says books and pencils. Everyone had some kind of personal item in their locker, whether it was a poster of your favorite band or a picture of your first love.
2. What’s the scariest thing you’ve ever done just for fun?
If you’ve ever gone skydiving or bungee jumping, this is time to share that story. Hopefully, you’ve never done anything more dangerous than that in the name of fun.
3. What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you on a date?
Look, unless the date happened last week, the formula of tragedy + time = comedy supersedes any reluctance you have at sharing an embarrassing story.
4. What funny thing did you do as a kid that your family still talks about?
Remember, this is an ice breaker, which means the person you’re talking to hasn’t heard this story every Thanksgiving for the past 20 years. It’s okay to share this story with a new audience.
5. What was your most awkward sexual encounter?
For the record, an embarrassing date is different from an awkward sexual encounter. Sure, you may not love the idea of sharing this story with a stranger, but we’ve all been young and have a weird story that’s worth telling.
6. What’s one lesson you learned the hard way that you’ll never forget?
This probably won’t be the most enjoyable story you ever tell, but for a stranger, it’ll probably be interesting to hear.
7. What was the worst fashion choice you ever made?
As long as this is a past fashion mistake and not a current one, there should be no shame in talking about this. It’s not like you’re currently wearing parachute pants, right?
8. What was your most memorable Halloween costume?
Note, this question isn’t asking for your favorite Halloween costume, just your most memorable. That means a costume that other people reacted strongly to seeing.
9. What name did you give to your first car?
Come on, everybody gave their first car a name. Unless the name you gave it was the “Loser Cruiser,” there’s nothing to be ashamed of by answering this question honestly.
10. What was the worst job you ever had?
Even if you just met a person, it’s always fun to complain about a terrible job. Of course, I should mention that if your worst job is your current job and you’re at a networking event, it’s cool to tell a white lie.
11. Who’s the most famous person you’ve ever met?
Nobody likes that guy who’s always name dropping. But you finally have an excuse to tell the story about that time you said “What’s up” to that C-list actor.
12. Who was your favorite school teacher?
If you want to be cynical, you can always change this to your least-favorite teacher. Either way, nothing says ice breaker like reminiscing about grade school.
13. What’s one opinion you’ve had that’s drastically changed during your life?
It’s not easy to admit that you were wrong about something, which is why this is an interesting ice breaker.
14. What was the proudest moment of your life?
Nobody likes that person who’s just looking for an excuse to brag about themselves. However, this ice breaker creates an interesting loophole, so make you take advantage of the opportunity.
15. Describe the time in your life when you were the most lost.
To be clear, this isn’t some deep philosophical question. We want to hear about the time that you took a couple of wrong turns in an unfamiliar city and were legitimately lost with no idea how to get to where you’re going.
16. What’s the funniest thing that’s ever happened on a family vacation?
There’s no such thing as a family vacation that doesn’t include somebody doing something stupid or embarrassing. In other words, other people will find the story funny.
What Else Is There to Talk About? (13)
1. Name every item in the trunk of your car right now.
Okay, this question is a little weird. But it’s definitely going to break the ice and make you think a little bit about what’s in your trunk and why it’s there.
2. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
This is the nice kind of ice breaker that helps you share something positive. Just make that you give credit to the person who gave you such a great gift.
3. If you were to create a T-shirt with just one word on the front, what word would you choose?
This question is definitely a little bit out of left field and will require a little bit of creativity. But who knows, maybe you’ll stumble across an amazing idea that will make you a ton of money.
4. What common trait do all of your friends share?
It’s common to ask someone what traits they want in a friend. But let’s throw a change-up and ask you to think about something that all of your friends have in common, and then you’ll get the answer of what you look for in friends.
5. Would you say you’re more of a talker or a listener?
This seems like a simple question, and it will be for most people. But it might force you to do a little self-reflecting and think about yourself.
6. Point out the person in the room who you think is the best dressed?
Obviously, the answer to this is going to depend largely on the room in which you find yourself. Technically, there’s no wrong answer to this, but the answer will say something about your own fashion sense.
7. What do you think is the secret to life?
Okay, we’re going a little deep with this ice breaker, but wouldn’t it be great to share some wisdom with a stranger. They probably won’t take what you say too seriously, right?
8. What’s your favorite sandwich?
This is a simple question, but it’s also an important one. Believe it or not, the answer says a lot about a person.
9. What’s your favorite item that you’ve bought this year?
This ice breaker isn’t all that personal, but it’s your chance to brag a little bit about that new car or the big screen TV you recently bought.
10. What’s the strangest food you’ve ever eaten?
Hopefully, there’s a good story behind this. Also, if you don’t have a good answer to this, it could be a sign that perhaps you’re not as adventurous as you’d like to be.
11. What part of grade school do you think should be incorporated into adult life?
This isn’t an ordinary ice breaker, but don’t you think adults could benefit from trying to replicate the life they had as children a little more? So, what do you think? Should we have more recess time, snack breaks, or spend more time going over our times tables?
12. What’s one thing on your bucket list you’re sure will be impossible to do?
If you honestly think you’re going to be able to do everything on your bucket list, you probably need to add more items to it and be a little more adventurous with it.
13. What’s the craziest or scariest nightmare you remember having?
Again, this question gets a little person. However, it’s might be easier to admit it to a stranger while trying to break the ice rather than admit it to someone you know.
Would You Rather (15)
1. Would you rather hit the treadmill or hit the couch?
This isn’t what you’d like to do or what you should do; the answer to that is obvious. Instead, be honest with this answer.
2. Would you rather be promised a longer life or have more money?
For the record, there’s no right or wrong answer to this. But you will learn a lot about a person from the answer.
3. Would you rather your life have a rewind button or a pause button?
With a pause button, you could get yourself out of trouble in an instant. Then again, with a rewind button, you could change things to avoid trouble in the first place.
4. Would you rather know all foreign languages or be able to communicate with animals?
This question depends largely on how much you love animals. Just think for a second how much you could do if knew every language on earth.
5. Would you rather go a week without your phone or a week without Internet?
Yes, this includes using the Internet via your phone. You could still send texts and take pics, you just couldn’t use the Internet, and that includes social media.
6. Would you rather be middle class and live in the 21st century or be rich and living in the 17th century?
Can you imagine living in the 1600s as the richest man within 100 miles? Does it sound better than your current life?
7. Would you rather be revered for intelligence or great looks?
Yes, we’re going to find out exactly how shallow you with this question. In fact, that’s kind of the point.
8. Would you rather never age mentally or never age physically?
Imagine being in your 80s and 90s and still being sharp as a tack mentally. Otherwise, you’ll just be another dumb but incredibly good-looking person.
9. Would you rather become someone else or remain yourself?
It’d be a little weird to admit to someone that you’d like to be someone other than yourself as part of an ice breaker. Then again, you also have the chance to say out loud that there’s no one you’d rather be than yourself.
10. Would you rather never be able to speak again or be forced to say everything on your mind?
Is the world ready to hear every thought that runs through your head? If not, it looks like a lifetime of silence for you.
11. Would you rather stop world hunger or put an end to all wars?
Obviously, you’ll go down as a great humanitarian either way. But that doesn’t make this decision any easier.
12. Would you rather be able to fly or teleport?
If you think about it, these two are more or less the same thing. The only difference is that flying will take a little longer, although it’ll also come with a nicer view.
13. Would you rather lose all of your money or all of your worldly possessions?
Sure, if you keep your money, you can replace most of your belongings. But think about photographs, mementos, and all of the things that you can’t replace no matter how much money you have.
14. Would you rather live where it never snows or where the daytime high is always 100 degrees?
Can you handle that kind of heat every day? Is it worth it just to say goodbye to snow forever? That probably depends on how much snow you’ve seen in your life.
15. Would you rather always be the funniest person in a room or always be the smartest person in a room?
In general, do you think people are more drawn to humor or intelligence? Honestly, I don’t know the answer, but perhaps you do.